[Marketing] Sugar Boot CDs

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 09:58:50 EDT 2009

Hi Mike

As far as I know we don't have a CD art template available, it would
be great if you could develop that... I'm not sure Christian or Eben
or Gary could help with that right now, we are overloaded with design
needs

For a "classic" CD-ROM there are usually three templates involved:

* The round CD label itself
* A booklet (front of jewel box), usually 4 pages (folded rectangle)
* U-Card (back of jewel box), contains spine info in 2 orientations
for easy shelf identification

My suggestion to save time would be to do only the round CD label,
discs can be placed in flat "CD single" jewelboxes or form-fitting
round plastic cases.

In terms of direction, I suggest for the basic layout:

* "Sugar learning platform" text, sugar in one of 12 "official" color
schemes, other text grey in VAG Rounded Light (or MGOpen
Modata)(smaller text should be Helvetica)

* Descriptive title text: "Boot Helper CD", subtitled "Requires Sugar
on a Stick (available separately), use this CD if USB stick can't boot
an old PC". It may be useful to put in a small USB stick graphic or
photo (note: I don't have SoaS beauty shots yet)

* Smaller Sugar Labs logo somewhere

* On white or black background (I prefer white because faster/easier
print jobs and I think looks nicer)

* CD-ROM logo (I have an EPS I can send you if you don't have that).
This is important to avoid confusion between DVD films

* if you wish, local Labs text and/or URL

* Short instructions in small text e.g.: "go to
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick to download Sugar on a
Stick and for instructions to load a USB stick for use with this CD"

To avoid clutter, the following could be arranged in tiny text in a
ring around the outer rim of the CD:

* A copyright notice such as "Copyright (c)2009 Sugar Labs and Contributors"

* Version information. Very important. However, I don't believe there
exists version information for versions of SoaS, in that case I guess
it would be best to put a month-date "June 2009".

* Text: "Please visit www.sugarlabs.org for more information about the
Sugar Learning Platform, for additional Activities for children, and
to check for updates to this and other Sugar software."

What do you think?

Sean