[Marketing] first mockup of a rollup banner for booths

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 05:42:57 EDT 2009

Here is a commandline hack for generating any combination, requires
imagemagick (www.imagemagick.org)

First, choose hex values for colors. Outdated info can be found here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_colors and a list of hex value pairs
here: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Talk:XO_colors. I like the ColorZilla
addon for Firefox which has a screen eyedropper ("pipette") which will
work for anything loadable into Firefox.

Open the SVG file
(http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/sugar-artwork/repos/mainline/blobs/master/icons/scalable/device/computer-xo.svg)
in a text editor, enter desired hex values for stroke_color and
fill_color, for example #F8F800 (yellow) and #F8ACC8 (pink), then save
under a different name (computer-xo.YellowPink.svg).

imagemagick:

$ convert +antialias -density 300 -background none -quality 0 +dither
-colors 256 -resize 150x computer-xo.YellowPink.svg
computer-xo.YellowPink.png

these switches: turn off antialias, set resolution (for an SVG
conversion this should be at least double the target resolution),
transparent background, dither off, 256 color palette, target
resolution 150 pixels width (should make a square from this SVG)

This command can make a giant XO too (multiply the density and resize
by 10 for example) but the vectors of the SVG become apparent. It's
surely possible to apply additional filters to smooth them out (as
opposed to manual editing), to be investigated. SVG to raster
conversions are a bit of a dark art.

The resulting PNG could surely be size-optimized further, in my
bookmarks II have this:
http://www.ffnn.nl/pages/articles/media/png-optimization.php which I
haven't followed up on.

This line could easily be scripted to generate all possible color
combinations, or reject too-close combinations, or even read in pairs
from a text file flipping stroke/fill for each pair, generating 3
sizes of PNG (or JPEG or GIF or whatever).

Sean