[IAEP] Two Project Gutenberg books that mat be of interest

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Sep 15 21:04:24 EDT 2020

Thanks.  Interesting.  I reviewed the first, in HTML, and saw no
significant problems with the production process.  The title page is
on an angle of a degree or two.

I hit quite a few electrical "we don't do it this way now" moments, of
course.  One of them was the telephone line lightning arrester; a
simple gap, then later enclosed gas discharge tubes were used so that
flammable atmospheres or light fuels were not ignited by a distant
strike.

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 07:42:24PM -0500, James Simmons wrote:
> Alfred Powell Morgan was a Constructivist and a Maker before either term
> existed. He loomed large in my life in the Sixth grade and two of his books in
> the public domain have been transcribed by me for Project Gutenberg.
>
> The Boy Electrician
>
> [1]https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/63207
>
> How To Build A 20-Foot Bi-Plane Glider
>
> [2]https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/63077
>
> The first book was one I read back then, but the edition I read was a much
> later edition. That is available as a reprint.  The second book I only
> discovered recently. Both are lavishly illustrated by the author.
>
> I have donated several e-books to Project Gutenberg, including complete
> translations of The Ramayana and other sacred texts of Hinduism, Farewell My
> Lovely by Raymond Chandler for PG Canada, and I even taught myself LaTeX so I
> could publish new editions of some of these books for print on demand. None of
> that work fills me with the pride that making The Boy Electrician available as
> a free e-book does.
>
> You might object to the title, and I agree it hasn't aged well, but if the book
> had been called Electricity Projects for Boys and Girls back then I wouldn't
> have gone near it and my life might have taken a very different course.
>
> Check it out!
>
> James Simmons

> [1] https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/63207
> [2] https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/63077