[IAEP] [SLOB] motion regarding GSoC mentor travel

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 15:17:15 EDT 2018

Background: Google has provided SL with $3000 towards mentor travel to the
October summit. ($3300 - the SFC 10%) although we have yet to receive $1100
of the funds. We have also received $5400 in mentor "stipends" ($6000 - the
SFC 10%). As you may recall, we are sending three people, Devin, Jaskirat,
and Shrivank. Only Jaskirat is traveling internationally, so the best
estimate is that the travel will come in on budget. As we did last year, we
could apply some of the mentor stipend $$ to cover any overruns. (Note we
have already approved a previous motion to approve a travel advance for
Jaskirat to attend the Google Summer of Code mentor summit in October 2018.
[1])

The SFC estimates a cost increase in Jaskirat's ticket of $400-$500 due to
his intention to travel some while in the States (to visit some Sugar Labs
people and his cousin in DC.) Jaskirat is paying for his domestic travel,
but the round trip in and out of SF is apparently less expensive, hence the
need for SLOB approval. IMHO, we should be extending opportunities for
community members whenever possible.

Motion: To approve the additional cost associated with Jaskirat's ticket to
and from the GSoC summit as calculated by the SFC. If for some reason the
total budget for GSoC summit travel exceeds $3000, we can apply Jaskirat's
and my share of the GSoC mentor stipend to cover the overrun.

This is somewhat timely as tickets need to be purchased.

regards.

-walter

[1] http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2018-August/055603.html