[IAEP] "edtech" Economist cover from July

D. Joe sugarlabs at etrumeus.com
Thu Mar 22 12:34:54 EDT 2018

So, the Madagascar XO story was relatively focussed. This issue of The
Economist is more in the way of review and context. The issue-specific cover
text is

  The future of learning
  How technology is transforming education

  https://www.economist.com/printedition/2017-07-22

First, there's their "Leader" (something of an editorial) shown in their
online and print tables-of-contents as "Education technology:
Brain gains" (page 9 in the print issue) but the online version carries the
headings:

  Education technology
  Together, technology and teachers can revamp schools
  How the science of learning can get the best out of edtech

Their more reportage-and-analysis oriented "Briefing" is "Edtech: Machine
Learning" in the tables-of-contents, but carries the online headings

  Edtech
  Technology is transforming what happens when a child goes to school
  Reformers are using new software to “personalise” learning

The leader uses B.F. Skinner's work as a frame, unfortunately, but at least
somewhat critically.

(I've been shifting the print edition of this around since I bought it off a
newstand and read it, waiting to pass along these links for your
consideration. Now that's done, I'll put it in the recycle bin, finally. :-)