[IAEP] Samson's Trip Expenses

Caryl Bigenho caryl at laptop.org
Sun Oct 1 12:40:12 EDT 2017

Hi All…

I would like to ask you to revisit the issue of Samson’s trip. To most of you experienced travelers the idea of a 15 hour layover in the Dubai airport probably seems like just how things work… another adventure. However…

Yesterday, when I was trying to buy a ticket for Samson’s flight from SFO to LA (actually BUR), Southwest would not allow me to buy it because he will be flying as an… are you ready for this?…. Unaccompanied Minor! Yes, Samson won’t turn 18 until this Halloween! So Southwest was not an option.

Fortunately, United has no such scruples and happily took my money.

For a 17-year-old, no matter how smart and talented he is, a long layover in a strange country can be a bewildering experience. He doesn't have a visa for Dubai so he can't even leave the airport. Evidently there is a lounge there where he could sleep and shower but, so far, the SLOBs have turned him down on his request for the funds to use the lounge.

For an organization that prides itself on serving young people, it seems a disgrace when they don’t support one of their own who also happens to be a young person.

Samson is going to have a lot of other incidentals that will have to be covered by his expense account and the current amount is very miserly.

Come on folks, do the right thing by Samson. Increase his expense account at least enough to cover the lounge and shower!

Grannie B