[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] New ASLO Project Definition

Jatin Dhankhar dhankhar.jatin at gmail.com
Fri May 19 05:51:03 EDT 2017

Hello Chris,

Welcome to the Sugar Labs community, When reworking ASLO (a very
> valuable project), please do keep internationalization (i18n) and
> localization (L10n) in mind.  You may or may not know that we do host
> PO files for L10n of NewASLO on our Pootle translation server:
> https://translate.sugarlabs.org/projects/NewAslo/

Yes, Tony discussed the same points regarding i18n with me earlier on email.

I think you are familiar with Pootle. The trick with Django is that the
> display of strings is indirect.

Pootle is built upon Django, so it should be readily available and easy to
plug.

Sam Cantaro mentioned using webhooks to notify ASLO when a new activity
> version has been released. Perhaps such a hook could be used to notify you
> of the need to review localization for the activity and another hook to
> notify ASLO to update the bundle to integrate the localization.

I think this is the right approach.

>From the conversations so far and looking at the ASLO 3 Proposal
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vHTp4CDUcbY3-36g4MjDbyT5KRQ6zWfS0h9LqKaQ4kA/edit>,
we are using webhooks to notify ASLO of any changes, whether it is adding a
new activity, or updating an existing one. I have one question, how will an
activity get approved prior to it's release on ASLO ?  Suppose a developer
wants to create a new activity and upload it to ASLO. Of course, prior to
release, the activity needs to be verified/moderated. Will be there an
intermediate step? Since developer needs to be member of sugar-activites
organization to publish an activity there or will there be another
repository containing names of verified repo, which build server will check
on each webhook ?
What I suggest is to use the Pull request reviews
<https://developer.github.com/v3/pulls/reviews/> to moderate an activity
and when an activity is signed off as okay but X number of  senior members
then only it should be considered for ASLO.

My main query is, how we will accomplish moderation and publishing to ASLO
using Github as a tool ? I might be wrong about the whole moderation thing
but a healthy discussion will hopefully lead us in the right direction.

Thanks,
Jatin Dhankhar