[IAEP] SPL Sugar Project Leader + Sugar Project Secretary + Auditor team?

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Sat May 21 16:21:34 EDT 2016

On Sat, May 21, 2016 at 1:09 PM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

> - keep track of project financial assets, income, expenditures and any
>>> other financial information
>>>
>>> You are doing a great job :D
>>>
>>> I can only deduce things out of public conversations. That is a very
>> limited and stressful way of keeping track of financials.
>>

> I'm sorry to hear that its stressful for you - you're doing an awesome
> job!! :)
>
> However, when thinking abut what is ideal for tracking finances, I
> understand that Conservancy uses www.ledger-cli.org to do accounting and
> while SL is a Conservancy project, it must use a ledger-cli compatible
> system.
>
> It is a text file based system (eg
> http://ledger-cli.org/3.0/doc/ledger3.html#Example-Journal-File) and Adam
> has access to the Sugar Labs text file. This formed the basis of what he
> posted to https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Finance in summary.
>
> Ideally I would like the file to be published, and to put up a web UI for
> it using the http://hledger.org tools.
>
> *Adam, can the full file be published?*

I've summarized the larger question to SFConservancy, as to whether this
might be prudent and within modern legal norms.  Hopefully Karen Sandler
(Exec Director of SFC) and her team will have time to reply to us in coming
weeks, as we are sending them a rather large number of questions these
days, so it would be considerate to be extremely patient.

While personal phone numbers and personal addresses seem to be
appropriately redacted from the long ledger file, even if the above "let
Google and the public audit it" answer is yes (if it is
acceptable/tolerable for a non-profit to suddenly publish an almost
decade-long ledger) there is a separate question as to whether it is wise.

For example, many thorny implied confidentiality questions suddenly arise
such as: should Sugar Labs publish all past donors and the amounts they've
donated and whether these people gave consent for their names to be
published or not over the past decade (etc).

--
Unsung Heroes of OLPC, interviewed live @ http://unleashkids.org !