[IAEP] SPL Sugar Project Leader + Sugar Project Secretary + Auditor team?

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Sat May 21 20:39:57 EDT 2016

Hi

On 21 May 2016 at 16:21, Adam Holt <holt at laptop.org> wrote:

> while SL is a Conservancy project, it must use a ledger-cli compatible
>> system.
>>
>> It is a text file based system (eg
>> http://ledger-cli.org/3.0/doc/ledger3.html#Example-Journal-File) and
>> Adam has access to the Sugar Labs text file. This formed the basis of what
>> he posted to https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Finance in summary.
>>
>> Ideally I would like the file to be published, and to put up a web UI for
>> it using the http://hledger.org tools.
>>
>> *Adam, can the full file be published?*
>>

> I've summarized the larger question to SFConservancy, as to whether this
> might be prudent and within modern legal norms.

AWESOME!!!! :D

> Hopefully Karen Sandler (Exec Director of SFC) and her team will have time
> to reply to us in coming weeks, as we are sending them a rather large
> number of questions these days, so it would be considerate to be extremely
> patient.

I concur Sir, I concur.

> While personal phone numbers and personal addresses seem to be
> appropriately redacted from the long ledger file,

Sounds good! With ledger's text file format and git, I hope keeping 2
branches with public and private versions will be straightforward.

> even if the above "let Google and the public audit it" answer is yes (if
> it is acceptable/tolerable for a non-profit to suddenly publish an almost
> decade-long ledger) there is a separate question as to whether it is wise.

For example, many thorny implied confidentiality questions suddenly arise
> such as: should Sugar Labs publish all past donors and the amounts they've
> donated and whether these people gave consent for their names to be
> published or not over the past decade (etc).

Also sounds good to redact names as well as phones and postal addresses.

I think the people aren't as important as the numbers and categories.

--
Cheers
Dave