[IAEP] SL member list/joining criterion

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Thu May 12 15:39:38 EDT 2016

Hi Adam

On 12 May 2016 at 15:33, Adam Holt <holt at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 3:14 PM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> 1. A section of the doc is available live here,
>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/Members/List
>>
>> 2. That doc shows 279 members
>>
>> I've requested access to the doc :) Thanks Samson!
>

> I'm NOT questioning Dave Crosslands' personal ethics (although many question
> his employer's ethics privately)

I'm contractually bound to clarify this: Google is a client of my
employer, a UK company of which I am one of the directors, and I'm not
an employee of Google, and nothing I do should be construed as
representing Google or any of the company's other clients (BBC, etc.)

> however more generally there's a very
> serious institutional/fiduciary problem here, if SL members' non-publishable
> personal data is being shared with someone who is not a member of Sugar
> Labs, as Dave Crossland recently stated he is still not a member of SL?
> That may have changed in recent weeks, but again we have no way of knowing,
> which is the core issue :)

I am now a Member, as you can see at the end of the list of members in
the link I provided :)

> FWIW many serious organizations wait years before providing this level of
> access (database of all their members) for profound reasons of
> conflict-of-interest, and accidental-or-worse-intentional abuse of personal
> data.

Those organizations' data is probably more substantial, though. Eg, a
database of all Mossack Fonseca's clients is rather different to the
database of volunteers for a free software project (which is already
public given the public nature of the services rendered voluntarily in
public bug trackers, mailing lists, etc.)

--
Cheers
Dave