[IAEP] Sugar Labs Vision Discussion in 6 hours

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Thu Jun 16 10:12:10 EDT 2016

On 14 June 2016 at 21:57, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

> ACTION ITEM: Dave will talk with Leah at OLPC on Thursday, and ask what
> their goals are for the next few years, when they will end support for
> XO-1s, and what they would advise in the scenario that we break Sugar for
> XOs in the 0.110 release, etc

I just spoke with Leah, and she was great to chat with!

- OLPC offered XO-1.75 and XO-4 upgrade kits in the past, to upgrade XO-1s,
but they didn't sell that well; she agreed with Tony's assessment that
users will run the XO-1 until it fails, and OLPC has no EOL date in mind

- OLPC is still offering XO-4s (touch and non-touch) with a minimum order
of 100 units through the end of this year for sure, and has a few units in
stock in Miami if anyone wants to buy just one or two; and Leah said they
could look into updating the laptop.org website to make the offer public

- OLPC is now also offering a newer model, a classmate-spec machine, and
will send me details about this; its rugged and branded but not got the
pixel qi screen.

- OLPC only ships Sugar, and is very happy with it, and wants to support
the developer community although isn't sure how to so;

- OLPC is willing to put me in touch with deployments if I wanted to visit
them to do user testing of the font editor activity and font design
workshops for kids