[IAEP] Sugar Labs Vision Discussion in 6 hours

Laura Vargas laura at somosazucar.org
Thu Jun 16 13:49:57 EDT 2016

> On 14 June 2016 at 21:57, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
>
>> ACTION ITEM: Dave will talk with Leah at OLPC on Thursday, and ask what
>> their goals are for the next few years, when they will end support for
>> XO-1s, and what they would advise in the scenario that we break Sugar for
>> XOs in the 0.110 release, etc
>>

> I just spoke with Leah, and she was great to chat with!
>
> Great news Dave! hopefully more and more OLPC members will join the
conversation on the IEP list.

> - OLPC offered XO-1.75 and XO-4 upgrade kits in the past, to upgrade
> XO-1s, but they didn't sell that well; she agreed with Tony's assessment
> that users will run the XO-1 until it fails, and OLPC has no EOL date in
> mind
>
> - OLPC is still offering XO-4s (touch and non-touch) with a minimum order
> of 100 units through the end of this year for sure, and has a few units in
> stock in Miami if anyone wants to buy just one or two; and Leah said they
> could look into updating the laptop.org website to make the offer public
>
> I belive SL business is the software We should not pay for any hardware
(besides the servers) that must be provided from PC manufacturers for
development ans testing. We already have experience with Intell locally.

> - OLPC is now also offering a newer model, a classmate-spec machine, and
> will send me details about this; its rugged and branded but not got the
> pixel qi screen.
>
> - OLPC only ships Sugar, and is very happy with it, and wants to support
> the developer community although isn't sure how to so;

And we are very happy supporting the OLPCs too. We would like to continue
doing so in a sustainable way for active members. We should let them know,
we are developing a thematic fund structure for OLPC and other "investors"
to be able to directorate the resources into specific projects.

- OLPC is willing to put me in touch with deployments if I wanted to visit
> them to do user testing of the font editor activity and font design
> workshops for kids

I believe full transparency for technical contacts, year of intervention,
native language, number of machines, etc should be public information as
long as it is public education.

Regards and blessings,
Laura V
www.somosazucar.org