[IAEP] Priority languages to translate Sugar

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 14 22:50:11 EDT 2016

Hi Folks…
Although it may seem a nice idea to propose translations into many languages, at this time I feel translations should be restricted to those language groups that have the XO hardware to use Sugar, like those in Peru and Haiti. Trying to add some of the Native American languages, where the hardware is not available is a futile exercise.
At the same time, we need an increased effort to work on the porting of the top Sugar Activities to Sugarizer. That is where we can reach children and young people everywhere because the needed hardware is already in their hands.
A recent conversation I had with Samson Goddy in Nigeria went something like this:
C: What computers will you be using with the students?S: InfinityC: How many will you have?S: TwoC: But do most of them have smartphones?S: Yeah.
He agrees with me that we should be supporting Sugarizer so we can take advantage of the hardware the students already have.
So, along with these comments, I submit:  Simultaneous translation of Sugar Activities to their Sugarizer counter-parts is something that should be taken seriously.
How many of you folks can do JavaScript, HTML5, and CSS? Those are the skills needed to do this. You can get these skills online if you want to help. Please contact me and Lionel Laske if you are willing to help with this.
BTW… SOS (Sugar On A Stick) is not really a viable option.  I have tried it with teachers in a workshop and they found it too complicated to use and were afraid of infecting their computers with a virus. It was a great idea, 5 years ago. But, it is time to move on and Sugarizer is the direction of the future.
Caryl