[IAEP] Wiki Gardening Weekend (May 14-15, Boston, USA)

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Mon Apr 11 17:51:12 EDT 2016

Hi Sebastian!

In the "Seeking insights into Oversight_Board/Decisions" thread you said,

On 11 April 2016 at 14:57, Sebastian Silva <sebastian at fuentelibre.org>
 wrote:

> El 11/04/16 a las 13:56, Walter Bender escribió:
>

>> Generally I think all mediawiki instances should be retired and replaced
>> with a static site generator backed by a distributed version control "pull
>> request" model of collaboration.
>>
>> http://designwithfontforge.com has semi-prominent "edit this page" (that
>> could be even more prominent) and Github itself and 3rd party web editors
>> like http://prose.io provide the "wiki" experience of editing pages
>> directly, but with the PR permissions model that - IMHO - cultivates more
>> quality.
>>
> Mediawiki has been an administration burden from infrastructure team and
> Local Labs as well.
>
> +1 on static site generators. Last year we replaced Wordpress for Nikola
> at somosazucar.org. Lektor is also interesting. Both are small enough to
> fit into a Sugar Activity for offline scenarios :-)

Both are pure python too. Cool :)

I propose using https://pages.github.com for hosting the site, and thus the
Jeykll static site generator (writte in ruby)

If Nikola/Lektor/anything-else is used as the static site generator, the
site source can be hosted on github, and travis can be used to run the SSG
and upload the build to a server via SFTP or git or similar (in a secure
way.)

Here are some explanations:

https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/deployment/custom/

https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/uploading-artifacts/

How to decide hosting sites on pages.github.com or elsewhere?

Cheers
Dave