[IAEP] Wiki Gardening Weekend (May 14-15, Boston, USA)

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Mon Apr 11 17:40:36 EDT 2016

Hi Walter!

In the "Seeking insights into Oversight_Board/Decisions" thread you said,

On 11 April 2016 at 14:56, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 2:46 PM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
>

>> On 11 April 2016 at 14:32, Adam Holt <holt at laptop.org> wrote:
>>

>>> You are thorough enough to consider the fiduciary/stewardship secretary
>>> role outlined below, and/or coaching/mentoring someone younger to assist
>>> you -- would you consider giving back in this way?
>>>

>> Sort of: I don't want to take on any responsibility, but you can trust me
>> to make unsolicited recommendations to everyone ;)
>>

>>> (SFConservancy.org has not yet replied to us explaining how a/our
>>> nonprofit's bylaws should be published, but certainly
>>> https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/Governance and
>>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Oversight_Board/Decisions will need to
>>> hang together to build institutional memory without an excess of
>>> contradictions, and we could certainly use your outsider comparative
>>> perspective here if so!)
>>>

>> mediawiki has a 'lock' feature to allow certain pages to only be edited
>> by certain users. We should use it for such 'serious' pages.
>>
>> Generally I think all mediawiki instances should be retired and replaced
>> with a static site generator backed by a distributed version control "pull
>> request" model of collaboration.
>>
>> http://designwithfontforge.com has semi-prominent "edit this page" (that
>> could be even more prominent) and Github itself and 3rd party web editors
>> like http://prose.io provide the "wiki" experience of editing pages
>> directly, but with the PR permissions model that - IMHO - cultivates more
>> quality.
>>

> Something to discuss before the Wiki Gardening weekend. We do have some
> community members who do a decent job of tending to the day-to-day needs of
> the wiki, but it has lacked an Olmstead for some time. Maybe we just pull
> the best of the wiki into a static site?

Yes, I recommend it - because a 'static site' backed by git _is_ a kind of
wiki when there is an 'edit this page' button.

What are the next steps for the Wiki Gardening Weekend location, and what
else ought to be discussed in the next 5 weeks?

Cheers
Dave