[IAEP] Motions to create position of Translation-Community Manager

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Wed Apr 6 10:08:05 EDT 2016

El 06/04/16 a las 07:45, Dave Crossland escribió:

> On 6 April 2016 at 03:25, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org
> <mailto:quozl at laptop.org>> wrote:
>
>     The hiding of SLOBs deliberations once they move to their private
>     mailing list
>

> Why is the SLOB list private?

There is actually explicit Sugar Labs principles regarding this. We are
supposed to be an "Open Organization" as defined here:
https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs#Principles - Especially the
section called "information".

I thought I remembered some language in this direction in
https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Oversight_Board but I can't find it.
Anyhow I expect SLOBS members to be aware of this policy and only use
private channels where it is otherwise impossible to be open.

That said, I have not read anything from several slobs on public lists,
ever.

      Principles

In order for Sugar to be successful, it needs the participation of a
large number of people who share common goals while maintaining
independence, so that each participant has the ability to act
independently. For these reasons, Sugar Labs subscribes to the
principles described here
<http://flors.wordpress.com/2008/05/04/the-paradigm-of-the-open-organization/>,
which are the author's own translation of anoriginal text in Spanish.
<http://web.archive.org/web/20050317231119/http://interactors.coop/organizacionabierta>

        Identity

  * Clear mission – Fully disclosed objectives.
  * Declared commitments – Affinities and aversions explained.
  * Declared outside connections – Relationships with other
    organizations explicitly listed.

        Structure

  * Horizontal organization – Teams and facilitators work on
    responsibilities and agreements.
  * Identified contributors – Who is who, people are reachable.
  * Clear responsibilities – Who is in charge of what.
  * Activities described – All of the ongoing work is acknowledged.

See Wiki Structure
<https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Wiki_Team/Guide/Wiki_Structure> for a
guide to how the wiki models Sugar Labs' structure.

        Operation

  * Open participation – Anybody can access the information and get a
    first responsibility.
  * Meritocracy – Responsibilities are acquired (or lost) based on one's
    skills, results, and contributors’ support.
  * Voluntary (non-)engagement – Nobody is forced to be involved or to
    keep responsibilities.

        Information

  * Regular reports – Reported activities and future plans allow
    monitoring and participation.
  * Information accessible – Even internal operational information is
    available by default.

        We try to operate /*en plein air
        <https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Archive/Current_Events/2009-06-10#En_plein_air>*/.

  * Explicit confidentiality – It is explained what matters are
    confidential, why, and who can access them.

        Goods

  * Economic model – Feasibility and sustainability plans are exposed.
    (Please see/contribute to the discussionhere
    <https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/Funding>.)
  * Resources – Inventory of items detailing who contributed what and why.
  * Public accounts – It’s clear where the money comes from and where it
    goes.
  * A special thanks
    <https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/Thank_You> to our
    contributors.