[IAEP] IAEP Digest, Vol 84, Issue 2

Sora Edwards-Thro sora at unleashkids.org
Tue Mar 3 01:47:05 EST 2015

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 9:48 PM, <tkkang at nurturingasia.com> wrote:

> Good analysis Tony. I live in the Get1 world that started me to work on
> the Give1 world. In fact the Give1 world has changed to Loan1 world. With
> that I could try to predict the chance of success before scaling up or
> saying No.
>
> http://www.scribd.com/doc/64216380/OLPdisAbledC-N-1

The concept of "Loan1" could be relevant at a school level. Start with
giving 5 or 10 XO laptops - schools normally want more, but see what they
do those 5 or 10 first. Or, start with XO-1 laptops, and then upgrade to a
"shinier" version (XO-4) after they're proven they can make good use of the
XO-1s.

But, even if you loan the technology, schools require significant
infrastructure investment to get even the smallest program up and running
(electrical, Internet, training). If you do not provide that, it will be
difficult for the program to work (In your honest report, TK, you explain
that you were unfortunately unable to train the teachers, which made
success unlikely).

Sidenote: TK, I know nothing about working with disabled students, but
maybe you can look at assistive apps
<http://www.friendshipcircle.org/blog/2011/02/07/7-assistive-communication-apps-in-the-ipad-app-store/>
designed
for other devices for inspiration of what might work on the XO.

We will have alot to do with Bernie/XSCE/mOLP when we meet in 3 weeks time.
> Fixing lot of arrangements and playtime followups of the mOLC Project.
>
> http://www.scribd.com/doc/219619484/mobile-Open-Learning-Chest-mOLC-Project

TK, I really like the work you have done with others to get SD card user
accounts working. I think it's a fantastic way to allow the maximum number
of children to benefit from the computers you are able to provide.

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 8:35 PM, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net> wrote:

> We should consider the real model of deployments (aside of the national
> ones). Some individual or group in the Get 1 world decides to sponsor a set
> of laptops for a specific school or library in the Give 1 world, the
> deployment.
>
> The role of the sponsor is to coordinate with the deployment, develop a
> plan to provide electrical power (e.g. agreeing to pay for utility bill or
> getting an agreement that the deployment will pay), acquire the laptops,
> arrange for the laptops to be delivered to the deployment (often in
> luggage), and arrange for someone with technical skills to go to the
> deployment to set up the system and show the staff how it works. Naturally,
> my personal interest is that the sponsor should supply a school server and
> one or more routers to provide the XOs with access to some of the
> information the Get 1 world routinely obtains from the internet.

That's how many of our programs began in Haiti: the US-based organization
that gives funds to a school or orphanage contacted us to bring laptops and
provide training. They pay for the server equipment that we install. For
the most part, it's working. When it's not working, it's because the
US-based organization did not understand important factors such as
electrical infrastructure and paying teachers' salaries. They do not always
have a vision when they ask for computers of how the computers will be
used; computers are a fun and useful toy. You have to make sure they
understand that using the computers requires more work from their teachers
and teachers expect to be paid for that. Even sponsors who appear to have a
lot of money available do not always want to spend the funds on this, for
whatever reason.

If we need a marketing program, it is to find sponsors to fund and support
> deployments in the Give 1 world. This program should be accompanied by an
> effort to find unused XOs and get them deployed for the simple reason that
> the initial $200 investment is paid and they are immediately usable. Where
> are the XOs given to Mongolia? The program should include particular
> attention to making the task of sponsorship as easy as possible and on
> giving the sponsor a clear understanding of the pedagogical goal of the
> program.

Yep, we're also trying to do that in Haiti. Sponsors are the main issue.
Schools have the XO laptops and would like to use them; they do not have
electricity or funds to pay teachers. We'll be reviving our second and
third programs this summer. I hope that experience will enable us to put a
price-tag on getting a program going again so we can start reaching out to
people to pay for it. We already have some rough ideas about what solar,
Internet, and teacher salaries cost in the developing world: I think $3000
- $4000 would do it in most cases, depending on how many laptops you wanted
to start using again. That's for a year of Internet and after-school
instruction, and 25 laptops. I'll some better budget stuff soon.

The initial reaction to Raspberry Pi is that when you added the essential
> peripherals (monitor, keyboard, camera, microphone) and packaged them in a
> portable package - the cost would be comparable to that of an XO. I have
> seen nothing to change that judgement.

Monitor is most expensive. But it looks like maybe you can use an old TV
<http://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/comments/23cs1r/how_do_i_connect_rpi_to_my_tv/cgvpjhg>
(not
as ubiquitous as cell phones, but available in many households in the
developing world)?

> Since it never leaves the lab, the packaging is not important.

 The packaging may still be important if we're talking about how long the
Pi will last before it breaks. Most labs will not be sealed or
climate-controlled, so dust and heat are still issues.

The 'thin clients' could be connected to the school server by an ethernet
> switch. One obvious consequence is that the learners will never have a
> chance to read ebooks, listen to music, listen to native English speakers,
> complete KA Lite exercises, or explore what they can do in Scratch or
> Turtle Blocks.

I'm confused about why learners would "never have a chance to read ebooks,
listen to music" etc on a thin-client model. Is it because the processing
power of the model is limited, or because you do not envision the school
encouraging those activities?

> They will get access to the computers on a schedule set by the school and
> will be expected to stay 'on task' while in the lab.

Unfortunately, many schools do not allow kids to take laptops home anyway.
We try to promote after-school and weekend access in order to give the kids
more freedom. It's not ideal, but it's the best we can get. I hope that
over time and with encouragement the teachers will become more lenient as
they see the value of "off-task" activities.

> I think the concern about making Sugar viable on any platform is
> reasonable if Sugar is viewed as one computer application among many. It is
> certainly what the Get 1 world expects. However, how does this help the
> mission of providing a laptop to every child in a community school in the
> developing world (the 60% without internet)?

It helps the mission because when you're working in the developing world,
you take what you can get. Ideally, we're approached by sponsors before
they've invested in computer initiatives for schools, like you said. But
sometimes, they will already have tablets, cell phones, laptops,
e-readers...We need to be able to adapt to that.

> This issue of the plan for the future of Sugar and the olpc initiative is
> not simple and it does not have any easy answers.

Nope! Thanks for bringing up some very good points.