[IAEP] The Deconstruction of the K-12 Teacher.

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Mon Apr 27 11:32:23 EDT 2015

Dear IAEP,
I recently read a fascinating article: "The Deconstruction of the K-12
Teacher".

It discusses current trends in the 1rst world with regard to "online"
education and the role of teachers.

As a parent-teacher who is active promoting freedom in software and
other human values, I find the discussion invaluable in envisioning
appropriate solutions that is appropriate for our children in a rural
context.

/"//I don’t have many answers in this brave new world, but I feel like I
can draw one firm line. There is a profound difference between a local
expert teacher using the Internet and all its resources to supplement
and improve his or her lessons, and a teacher facilitating the
educational plans of massive organizations. Why isn’t this line being
publicly and sharply delineated, or even generally discussed?"/

This is why, in the context of educating with computers, Free Software
is of /vital/ importance.

The same question Michael Godsey raises is our very reason to be.

The usage of digital tools is not innocent, it implies a commitment and
a model and even contractual requirements, for example limitations on
use and redistribution, etc.

Here's the full article:
http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2015/03/the-deconstruction-of-the-k-12-teacher/388631/?single_page=true

--