[IAEP] My problem with your OUI is that I can't see what problem it is solving.

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 23:33:33 EDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 7:45 PM, Aleksey Lim <alsroot at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> I understand that I might "misuse" SL and better to switch my centre of
> development to another, more general, community. But, if it is not
> misusing, (b) is not valid.

Dear Aleksey,

Speaking for myself, I think that "Sugar Labs" is a well chosen name
(emphasizng the "Labs" element).  We are not the "Sugar distro", we
are a community dedicated to improving education through the
development and distribution of software tools for learning.  I
believe we should welcome experimental approaches such as the work you
are doing on Swwets Distribution and Sugar Network as we should
welcome the work tha Activity Central does on extendign Sugar to
support it's clients (and upstreaming that work to be shared by all).

You have engaged with a local community (SomosAzucar), inviting input
from the broader Sugar community and are working on a project that
will be tested in the real world, most importantly, you are producing
code and not just talk.  Talk is cheap, working code is precious.
Keep up the good work and the open approach you are taking, as far as
I am concerned,  it is most welcome under the Sugar Labs banner.

Sugar is about more than an OS for XO laptops, but they are our
largest installed user base and an emphasis on extending and
maintaining the Sugar Shell is quite sensible, but it is not (or
should not be) to the exclusion of other worthy ideas and tools that
contribute to our broader mission.

cjl