[IAEP] My problem with your OUI is that I can't see what problem it is solving.

Aleksey Lim alsroot at sugarlabs.org
Tue Sep 18 19:45:54 EDT 2012

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 10:41:10AM +1000, David Brown wrote:

> there is a wiki on OUI here:
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Talk:Design_Team/Proposals
> the OUI design document is located separately because (a) its easier for me
> to edit it with Libre Office than by using the wiki editor and (b) OUI is
> not just about xo; it could work on any platform

Just a side note I want to synchronize with others...

I presume that many (or most?) of people treat SL primarily as
an organization to support Sugar Learning Environment assuming that
it starts (from desktop environment point of view) from Sugar Shell
and ends by Sugar Activities (i.e., applications to launch from Sugar
Shell).

Personally, I was thinking the same when I started contributing to Sugar
development in 2008. But from that time, my focus was shifted from Sugar
Shell centric to more general educational/learning view. Right now, I'm
treating SL as Apache Foundation[1] (which was started, though I don't
know the story, as HTTP Web server but mutated to enterprise-level
software foundation) for educational/learning software (presuming that
Sugar Shell is not the only targeted environment, like Apache web server
is not a start point for Apache Foundation).

I understand that I might "misuse" SL and better to switch my centre of
development to another, more general, community. But, if it is not
misusing, (b) is not valid.

[1] http://apache.org/foundation/

--
Aleksey