[IAEP] Can Sugar run as a web-based OS?

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 22:33:46 EDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 9:50 PM,  <marilyn at ourdyslexicchildren.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am a lurker.  I have just begun working as a consultant to Rice
> University's stemscopes.com educational website to help them modify it to
> accommodate dyslexic students.  STEMscopes specializes in science
> curriculum.
>
> Can Sugar be web-based?
>
> I used Sugar as a teacher and found it to be very interactive and adaptable
> to dyslexic students.  It would merge beautifully with STEMscopes'
> objectives.
>
> There is the possibility that we could suggest that schools install Sugar to
> use with their activities.  However, as a long time teacher, I can tell you
> that schools are unlikely to do that.  It is too much work.  It would be
> better if it could be integrated into web-based lessons.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Marilyn

While there are many ways to get Sugar onto machines of nearly any type:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/DocumentationTeam/Try_Sugar

If the concern is installing software, then you may want to look at
Sugar on a Stick:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick

You can download the latest here:
http://spins.fedoraproject.org/soas/

The price of 1 or 2 GB USB drives (especially if purchased in bulk)
have gotten quite reasonable.  There have been pilots in American
schools with SoaS.

cjl