[IAEP] Can Sugar run as a web-based OS?

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 22:21:31 EDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 9:50 PM,  <marilyn at ourdyslexicchildren.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am a lurker.  I have just begun working as a consultant to Rice
> University's stemscopes.com educational website to help them modify it to
> accommodate dyslexic students.  STEMscopes specializes in science
> curriculum.
>
> Can Sugar be web-based?
>
> I used Sugar as a teacher and found it to be very interactive and adaptable
> to dyslexic students.  It would merge beautifully with STEMscopes'
> objectives.
>
> There is the possibility that we could suggest that schools install Sugar to
> use with their activities.  However, as a long time teacher, I can tell you
> that schools are unlikely to do that.  It is too much work.  It would be
> better if it could be integrated into web-based lessons.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Marilyn

Marilyn,

You probably want to look into the work that Aleksey Lim is doing for
SomosAzucar in Peru on Sugar Network.

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Network

For instance, click this link to see a demo:
http://network-testing.sugarlabs.org/context/all/sugar-network.

I'm not at all sure that it's intent is to be the sort of
zero-footprint Sugar environment via web-browser that you seem to be
requesting, but I find it hard to keep up with all of the amazing
stuff that Aleksey is working on.

cjl