[IAEP] Sugar Camp France

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 12:23:15 EDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 11:44 AM, samy boutayeb <s.boutayeb at free.fr> wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> We are actually working on the finalization of the French localization.
>
> Actually, when we commit the languages packs, some of them didn't get
> committed properly.
>
> For instance, in the Glucose group, the message after committing the
> modules is as following:
>
> Failed to commit file: [GIT] commit of
> ('/var/lib/pootle/checkouts/glucose/sugar-base', 'po/fr.po') failed: #
> On branch master # Your branch and 'origin/master' have diverged, # and
> have 6 and 6 different commit(s) each, respectively. # # Changed but not
> updated:

sugar-base.po is 5 words that haven't changed since the earliest
branches, but it appears in multiple glucose branches.  I suspect
there may be some versioning conflict involved in the multiple copies
of this file,   We are working on a better understanding of git-Pootle
interactions, but I would not have any great concerns about this error
on this file.

> The Malagasian translators who contributed to the localization effort do
> understand English. However, I suspect that the possibility to align the
> French language as the source language could make things easier both for
> actual malagasy translators and for prospect contributors.

Yes, we are very lucky to have the contributions of skilled
multilinguals, but my point is that having a bridging language where
the most common second language is not necessarily English is
primarily about increasing the size of the potential pool of bilingual
localizers.

cjl