[IAEP] Short report from day 2 of Sugar Camp #2

Christoph Derndorfer christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 04:45:26 EDT 2011

Good morning,

most of yesterday was spent working in pairs or small groups of people.
People, overall maybe about two dozen or so, worked on a broad variety of
efforts ranging from testing different Activities, writing documentation,
GTK3 work, design aspects, individual Activities, wikifying existing
documentation, writing Activity documentation, content bundles, etc.

After lunch we heard two ~30 minute presentations: One by Tony about his
work on school server content which seems to be moving ahead quite nicely
and a second one by Christophe about his Semantic XO project. Many people
kept working throughout these presentations and all throughout the
afternoon. Towards the end of the day Pam from
www.villageventures-diema.compresented her work, she is very
interested in bringing from XOs to that
village and so spent the day talking to many different people, reading
through documentation, and simply playing around with an XO. Just before
leaving some of us took the center stage for a minute or two to share what
we had worked on during the day. OLPC France had set up a sort of
competition for the best work on Sunday whose winner would take home an XO
telescope as shown during the presentation the day before however in the end
no decision was reached. (I personally still vote for Gary, after all he is
the Moon maintainer).

In the evening some of us enjoyed the hospitality of the Kleiders and their
beautiful apartment near Notre Dame while Simon, Gary, Daniel, and Raul went
back to the hotel for a couple of hours of hacking.

Speaking to people in the evening it seemed like everyone had a productive
and fun day! :-)

Today some of us are spending the day at La Cantine, the site of the 2009
Sugar Camp, where OLPC France again found us a nice office space to get some
work done. So we have another productive day ahead of us before people start
making their way home in the evening.

Ah, and before I forget: Gary has been taking panorama photos with an iPad
app which you can find on his Flickr stream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50394334@N00/sets/72157627630873120/with/6132674176/

Cheers,
Christoph

--