[IAEP] Sugar Camp France

samy boutayeb s.boutayeb at free.fr
Mon Sep 12 11:44:37 EDT 2011

Hi Chris,

We are actually working on the finalization of the French localization.

Actually, when we commit the languages packs, some of them didn't get
committed properly.

For instance, in the Glucose group, the message after committing the
modules is as following:

Failed to commit file: [GIT] commit of
('/var/lib/pootle/checkouts/glucose/sugar-base', 'po/fr.po') failed: #
On branch master # Your branch and 'origin/master' have diverged, # and
have 6 and 6 different commit(s) each, respectively. # # Changed but not
updated:

Le lundi 12 septembre 2011 à 11:10 -0400, Chris Leonard a écrit :
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 3:08 AM, Christoph Derndorfer
> <e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > some of us (very) briefly discussed this topic but admittedly more in the
> > content and documentation rather than the activity translation context.
> >
> > Given the current efforts in Haiti and the connection we're trying to
> > establish with the French project in Nosy Komba I believe that French
> > translations will also increasingly be on people's mind.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Christoph
>

> I would emphasize the importance of completed French PO files in order
> to facilitate indigenous language L10n in Francophone Africa and
> possibly Haiti.
>
> We have the technical means to modify Pootle-hosted PO files to
> contain the translated strings of a bridging language in translator
> comments (e.g. Spanish for Quechua) which is quite important for
> indigenous languages where the overlaying lingua franca is not
> English.  However, the prerequisite for this is completion of the
> bridging language L10n.
>
> For instance. in the case of Nosy Komba,  the PO files for Malagasy
> (the language of Madagascar) could be annotated in this way to
> facilitate lang-fr > lang-mg L10n.
>
> http://translate.sugarlabs.org/mg/
>
> I don't know for sure, but I would suspect it is easy to find
> bilingual French-Malagasy speakers than English-Malagasy speakers.

The Malagasian translators who contributed to the localization effort do
understand English. However, I suspect that the possibility to align the
French language as the source language could make things easier both for
actual malagasy translators and for prospect contributors.

Kind regards

Samy