[IAEP] [SLOBS] Updates of Sugar Labs' finances?

Christoph Derndorfer e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Nov 7 20:31:43 EST 2011

Am 02.11.2011 18:50, schrieb Walter Bender:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 10:34 PM, Mel Chua<mel at melchua.com>  wrote:
>>> As a member of the Sugar Labs community I find it quite frustrating that
>>> such basic information doesn't seem to be readily available (at least
>>> not on http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Finance where one would expect to
>>> find it).
>>

>>> Yes, it is encouraging that Rubén's and Aleksey's recent funding
>>> requests for Sugar Camp Lima were quickly acted and decided upon.
>>> However I would assume that such decisions involve a quick look at the
>>> current account balance which makes it all the less understandable why
>>> the corresponding wiki page doesn't contain that information.
>>
>> Actually, the reason I *didn't* vote on that funding request was because I
>> (as a member of SLOBs) could not find that information either, and didn't
>> feel comfortable approving funding without knowing what our budget picture
>> actually was.
>>
>> So Christoph, I do agree with you.
>
> Mel, I believe that as a SLOBs member you get the same reports from
> the SFC as the rest of us.
>
> # On 31 July 2011, Total assets restricted for Sugar
> $ /usr/bin/ledger -f /tmp/5mKPnnXTFW/sugar.ledger -e 2011/08/01 bal '^Assets'
>
>          $ 21,141.78  Assets
>
> We don't have a more recent figure, but we also haven't incurred any
> major expenses in the interim. This approximate number was mentioned
> in a recent SLOBs meeting when the question of funds as raised.
>
> Christoph, would you like to volunteer to maintain a public version of
> our finances? We are shorthanded in this department and it seems to be
> an area of interest.

Hi Walter,

thanks a lot for the update and apologies for the slow reply.

I just updated http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Finance#Current_finances
with the balance mentioned above and the information from Bernie's
update (http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/2011-November/014354.html).

Looking through these messages I was wondering what is the status of
those Gould Grant efforts was?

Searching through the wiki shows that the grant was awarded in June of
2009 for the SoaS project in Boston
(http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Archive/Current_Events/2009-06-15). Then
the next, and last, mention of it is from January 2010 where you
considered asking them to see whether it can be used for infrastructure
related expenses
(http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Oversight_Board/2010/Meeting_Log-2010-01-29).

And you're certainly right, this is indeed an area of interest (though
admittedly only really since I've been forced to start dealing with
finances at OLPC Austria;-). If one of the SLOBs could simply keep me
posted of relevant information and updates by forwarding the relevant
updates from SFC I'd be happy to keep
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Finance up to date. (However I of course
don't want to step on Bernie's toes since he's taking care of finances
as well.)

Cheers,
Christoph

--