[IAEP] [SLOBS] Updates of Sugar Labs' finances?

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 20:37:18 EST 2011

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 8:31 PM, Christoph Derndorfer
<e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:

>>> Actually, the reason I *didn't* vote on that funding request was because
>>> (as a member of SLOBs) could not find that information either, and didn't
>>> feel comfortable approving funding without knowing what our budget
>>> picture
>>> actually was.
>>>
>>> So Christoph, I do agree with you.
>>
>> Mel, I believe that as a SLOBs member you get the same reports from
>> the SFC as the rest of us.
>>
>> # On 31 July 2011, Total assets restricted for Sugar
>> $ /usr/bin/ledger -f /tmp/5mKPnnXTFW/sugar.ledger -e 2011/08/01 bal
>> '^Assets'
>>
>>         $ 21,141.78  Assets
>>
>> We don't have a more recent figure, but we also haven't incurred any
>> major expenses in the interim. This approximate number was mentioned
>> in a recent SLOBs meeting when the question of funds as raised.
>>
>> Christoph, would you like to volunteer to maintain a public version of
>> our finances? We are shorthanded in this department and it seems to be
>> an area of interest.
>
> Hi Walter,
>
> thanks a lot for the update and apologies for the slow reply.
>
> I just updated http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Finance#Current_finances with
> the balance mentioned above and the information from Bernie's update
> (http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/2011-November/014354.html).
>
> Looking through these messages I was wondering what is the status of those
> Gould Grant efforts was?
>
> Searching through the wiki shows that the grant was awarded in June of 2009
> for the SoaS project in Boston
> (http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Archive/Current_Events/2009-06-15). Then the
> next, and last, mention of it is from January 2010 where you considered
> asking them to see whether it can be used for infrastructure related
> expenses
> (http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Oversight_Board/2010/Meeting_Log-2010-01-29).

The project has morphed into a new phase. Carolyn is working with a
Haitian diaspora community. She could I am sure give you an update.
Her principal focus has been working with Etoys.

> And you're certainly right, this is indeed an area of interest (though
> admittedly only really since I've been forced to start dealing with finances
> at OLPC Austria;-). If one of the SLOBs could simply keep me posted of
> relevant information and updates by forwarding the relevant updates from SFC
> I'd be happy to keep http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Finance up to date.
> (However I of course don't want to step on Bernie's toes since he's taking
> care of finances as well.)

I may have unearthed someone with experience in finance who will take
this one for us.

-walter

--
Walter Bender