[IAEP] [support-gang] FW: [OLPC Bolivia] No logro

Valerie Taylor vtaylor at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 07:11:25 EDT 2011

Don't get me wrong - what is being done is amazing. It is most
important to support those who get it and need help as the primary use
of time and resources.

You only learn what you almost know. It will take valuable limited
resources to educate  those who are outside the scope of "almost
knowing" the underlying concepts and rational and appreciating how
this will fundamentally change education. That is a pretty big step
for many people. And I would like to help with that, as I am currently
part of the problem,

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:16 PM,  <mokurai at earthtreasury.org> wrote:
> On Wed, June 15, 2011 2:40 pm, Valerie Taylor wrote:

> It is about doing something as soon as possible, not as soon as convenient.
>
> There is documentation for teachers, and teacher training material, in
> Spanish and Nepali that I would like to see translated to English and then
> to dozens of other languages.
> We could use more help.

Great work as far as it goes. So much more that could be done. Getting
help is still a problem in most online communities. It is interesting
that open software development has been so successful but all the
attempts at organizing volunteers for the peripheral services -
documentation, training, marketing, have not been nearly as
successful.

> There has been a substantial amount of grumbling without providing
> specifics so that we can either change the software or the documentation,
> as appropriate. Please send me your issues.

As far as I can tell, the software is wonderful and getting better all
the time. It makes sense that this is the primary focus of the work.

For the grumbling from the rest of us - communicate, communicate,
communicate. Make it easy (easier) to find stuff. Keep it open (wiki
pages - not .pdf, google docs). Work on expanding the information
about the underlying ideas to include broader audiences. Make it
easier and more visible how to ask for help. And make it easy to
volunteer to help and to know how to help.

This is how I plan to contribute. I can do some of these. Some of the
work has already been done but needs re-discovering, Grumbling is good
- I'm here to help.

Some of these are hard - there aren't good working models. But heck,
that's what makes this important and interesting.