[IAEP] [support-gang] FW: [OLPC Bolivia] No logro

mokurai at earthtreasury.org mokurai at earthtreasury.org
Wed Jun 15 23:16:05 EDT 2011

On Wed, June 15, 2011 2:40 pm, Valerie Taylor wrote:
> As a new independent learner, there is no question that it is
> difficult to "learn Sugar" but why would someone want to? I want to
> because OLPC is on the right track toward the education that should
> have been researched, implemented and supported for the last 20 years.

At least 50. The great innovators and experimenters in computer education
worked in the late 1950s and the 1960s. I include Omar Khayyam [sic]
Moore, Ken Iverson, Doug Engelbart, Alan Kay, Seymour Papert, and the
rest. Everything since is commentary, and waiting for Moore's Law to catch
up.

> What is amazing is that those empowered to provide education to
> millions of the world's most needed children actually get this.

Some of us, anyway, ^_^ although the idea is definitely spreading.

> It is about priorities, passions and limited resources.

It is about doing something as soon as possible, not as soon as convenient.

> Most of the
> people who have contributed to date have been comfortable with the
> technology and wrote documentation for themselves and other
> like-minded users, and this has worked well to satisfy the needs of
> the primary audience - those implementing whole school XO adoptions.
> However, developing training and documentation for other audiences has
> not been provided for whatever reason.

There is documentation for teachers, and teacher training material, in
Spanish and Nepali that I would like to see translated to English and then
to dozens of other languages. I have been working on Discovering Discovery
at FLOSS Manuals and now in the Sugar Labs Replacing Textbooks program, on
our test server at

http://booki.treehouse.su/

FLOSS Manuals is in the process of translating its Sugar and OLPC manuals.
We could use more help.

> I doubt that this is the first time someone has indicated that they
> had a problem learning Sugar. Apparently little if anything has been
> done in the past to address these specific concerns. The interest in
> the current situation is encouraging. It is never too late to provide
> additional information for those who are interested enough to point
> out a need that is un-met.

There has been a substantial amount of grumbling without providing
specifics so that we can either change the software or the documentation,
as appropriate. Please send me your issues.

> Good start on a dialog to discover what is needed and what can be done
> / provided to make it easier for other interested audiences to "learn
> Sugar" as they understand it.

Thank you.