[IAEP] [support-gang] How Many XOs?

Christoph Derndorfer e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Feb 23 10:27:46 EST 2011

Am 23.02.2011 16:09, schrieb Robert Fadel:

> On Feb 23, 2011, at 9:55 AM, Christoph Derndorfer wrote:
>
>> Yes, it's *great* that this note is on that wiki page however I'm mainly
>> concerned about the major public interfaces such as
>> http://one.laptop.org/map as well as Nicholas and Rodrigo constantly
>> refer to "2,100,000 children and teachers have XO laptops" when that is
>> quite clearly not the case.
>>
>> As Caryl will talk about OLPC at the Scale conference this week I wanted
>> to use the opportunity to share what I feel are more realistic figures;-)
>
> Short of polling every deployment - which is done - on the distributed
> versus locally warehoused number unless you also want to know the number
> of xo's in repair status (how literal are you being about "have"?);

Point taken;-)

> I'd
> reduce the number by 100-200k; approximately a month's production and an
> equivalent number in transit whose time which can take up to 8 weeks for
> land-locked countries. The upper-bound might capture local inventories too.

Thanks a lot for the clarification, much appreciated

Oh, and I guess that also means Quanta is still producing approximately
50,000 XOs per month?

> so, about that rwanda number you are quoting...?

Should be in that other e-mail I sent (sorry, that one took a little
longer as I'm theoretically supposed to get some real work done in this
software engineering management class I'm currently sitting in;-)

> also curious about the classmate deployment figures you were researching
> some time ago, what did you find?

I had an interesting lunch earlier in the month in this context and will
follow up on this story in early March;-)

I'm still absolutely clueless about the total figures but what I do know
is that Argentina's Conectar Igualdad program
(http://www.conectarigualdad.gob.ar/) will distribute 3 million
Classmate PCs in part of its public secondary school system by the end
of 2012. By late December approximately half a million of them had
supposedly been distributed.

In Brazil the presidency created a credit line for regional governments
(states & municipalities) to be used for the purchase of up 1.5 million
Classmate PCs until mid-2012. The information available online leaves
much to be desired but
http://www.bndes.gov.br/SiteBNDES/bndes/bndes_pt/Institucional/Apoio_Financeiro/Programas_e_Fundos/prouca.html
and http://www.fnde.gov.br/index.php/laptops-educacionais-apresentacao
contain a quick overview.