[IAEP] [support-gang] How Many XOs?

Robert Fadel robert at laptop.org
Wed Feb 23 10:09:17 EST 2011

On Feb 23, 2011, at 9:55 AM, Christoph Derndorfer wrote:

> Yes, it's *great* that this note is on that wiki page however I'm
> mainly
> concerned about the major public interfaces such as
> http://one.laptop.org/map as well as Nicholas and Rodrigo constantly
> refer to "2,100,000 children and teachers have XO laptops" when that
> is
> quite clearly not the case.
>
> As Caryl will talk about OLPC at the Scale conference this week I
> wanted
> to use the opportunity to share what I feel are more realistic
> figures;-)

Short of polling every deployment - which is done - on the distributed
versus locally warehoused number unless you also want to know the
number of xo's in repair status (how literal are you being about
"have"?); I'd reduce the number by 100-200k; approximately a month's
production and an equivalent number in transit whose time which can
take up to 8 weeks for land-locked countries. The upper-bound might
capture local inventories too.

so, about that rwanda number you are quoting...?

also curious about the classmate deployment figures you were
researching some time ago, what did you find?

r/