[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] New activity from OLPC France

mokurai at earthtreasury.org mokurai at earthtreasury.org
Sat Apr 23 14:36:22 EDT 2011

On Fri, April 22, 2011 5:00 am, Stefanie Nobel wrote:
> Hi Walter,
>
> That’s an interesting point. At the beginning I also had something more
like
> an experimental cook studio in mind. During my research I found some funny
> things, like making an own pH indicator with red cabbage, a natural pH
> indicator that changes colors according to the acidity of the solution
> you’re mixing with. For example when you fry your egg with a little red
> cabbage juice the egg becomes green. I found several other good, but for
> the moment I am not sure how to include it in our game.
>
> But concerning your question I can only offer a database with prepared
> aliments and their nutritional values. As far as I know, there is no
rule of
> thumb how cooking impacts food. The impact depends on the aliment. I am
> currently looking for more information on this topic, so when I find
> anything I will let you know.

There are several books on the subject from varying points of view and for
different audiences. Examples include

* Let's Cook It Right (1988), by Adelle Davis

* Science Experiments You Can Eat: Revised Edition (1984), by Vicki Cobb
and David Cain

* Amazing Kitchen Chemistry Projects You Can Build Yourself (May 1, 2008)
by Cynthia Light Brown and Blair Shedd

* Kitchen Chemistry - Paperback (July 1, 2005) by Ted Lister and Heston
Blumenthal

* What Einstein Told His Cook: Kitchen Science Explained (May 17, 2002) by
Robert L. Wolke

* "The Magic School Bus Gets Baked in a Cake: a Book About Kitchen
Chemistry" and "The Magic School Bus Plants Seeds: a Book About How Living
Things Grow" (2-volume set) (PBS Magic School Bus) - Paperback (1994) by
Patricia Relf Linda Beech and John Spiers Ted Enik

* On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen by Harold McGee

* Cooking for Geeks: Real Science, Great Hacks, and Good Food by Jeff Potter

* Ratio: The Simple Codes Behind the Craft of Everyday Cooking by Michael
Ruhlman

* The Science Chef: 100 Fun Food Experiments and Recipes for Kids by Joan
D'Amico

* The Science Chef Travels Around the World: Fun Food Experiments and
Recipes for Kids, by Joan D'Amico, Karen E. Drummond

* The Science of Cooking - Hardcover (June 8, 2001) by Peter Barham

* Food Science (Food Science Text Series) by Norman N. Potter and Joseph
H. Hotchkiss (1999)

* Essentials of Food Science (Food Science Text Series) by Vickie A.
Vaclavik and Elizabeth W. Christian (Paperback - Nov 30, 2007)

* Food Chemistry by H.-D. Belitz, Werner Grosch and Peter Schieberle
(Paperback - Feb 27, 2009)

* The Science of Good Food: The Ultimate Reference on How Cooking Works by
David Joachim, Andrew Schloss and A. Philip Handel Ph.D. (Paperback - Oct
10, 2008)

* Understanding Food Science and Technology (with InfoTrac) by Peter S.
Murano (Hardcover - Sep 25, 2002)

among many others that you can find on Amazon. There is also a huge
scientific literature on these topics, and discussions of related
subjects, such as

* Molecular Gastronomy: Exploring the Science of Flavor (Arts and
Traditions of the Table: Perspectives on Culinary History) by Hervé This
and Malcolm DeBevoise (Paperback - Aug 1, 2008)