[IAEP] Tightwad Grannie's experiment for saving $$$ on USB Sticks

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 13 23:43:56 EDT 2010

Hi Folks,

It seems like I am always having to buy another usb stick which often isn't filled to capacity.  This seems like a huge waste of $$$. In some parts of the world this can also be a huge chunk out of a teacher's salary.  So I did a little experiment today.

I was downloading and installing Dextrose (os373pyg) onto both XO-1s and XO-1.5s.  I used a Cruzer 4GB usb drive.  First I did it the usual way and got all of the files named right and working correctly.

Then I put all of the files together on the usb stick. There were 3: os373pyg.img, os373pyg.crc, and os373pyg.zd). Then I used the drive to install os373 on both an XO-1 and an XO-1.5, following the respective instructions.

No problem!  I am guessing it works only on the install method that starts at the ok prompt, not the 4-game-keys reflash.  But this way it does work... cutting the usb stick cost in half!

I wonder how many other things can share the same stick... when I have time, I will try other ideas.

Caryl (aka Tightwad GrannieB)