[IAEP] SLOBs weekly update, 2010-07-11

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Sun Jul 11 06:54:13 EDT 2010

As promised, I kicked our agenda items forward. Turns out you can do a
lot without needing to vote. :)

Our meetbot does some truly awful meeting minutes formatting, but here's
the summary of
http://me.etin.gs/sugar-meeting/sugar-meeting.minutes.20100711_0446.html:

* Local Labs TM applications can't be found, so we'll drop this topic
until a Local Lab is indeed blocked by lack of TM permission, at which
point they should ping SLOBs (via emailing the slobs and iaep lists with
their request - doesn't have to be formal, just needs to be publicly
documented somewhere) so we can +1 them. DONE!

* Oo4Kids logo display request got 4 +1s from SLOBs, granted. Added to
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Trademark_permissions_granted. APPROVED!

* F11+0.88+XO-1.* got permission to use SL infrastructure and get listed
on the sidebar. UNBLOCKED!

* Broader question: "What are the rights and responsibilities of a SL
project?" (Simple answer, but we need to agree on the same simple
answer.) NEXT WEEK! (and hitting the list shortly as a separate thread).

* Question from Kevin Mark: "Who should be the deciding organization for
who determines what version of sugar is used in the field?" (Hitting the
list shortly as a separate discussion thread, but no action really
needed - just a good point to bring up.)

What else do people consider the most pressing topics to the future of
SL? How are we doing? Are we reaching our goals? (What are they?) These
should be the agenda items we discuss.

--Mel

-------

04:56:33 	Topic: Trademark applications from Local Labs
04:56:37 	LINK 	mchua
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/2010-June/011237.html
04:56:54 	INFO 	mchua 	We have trademark usage applications from the
following places:
04:57:02 	INFO 	mchua 	* Colombia * Paraguay Educa * Argentina * Chile *
Peru * DC
04:57:14 	INFO 	mchua 	We have been blocked by lack of links to the
actual applications.
04:58:29 	INFO 	mchua 	Walter says the words "TM REQUEST" should be in
the subject lines for this, and that they should have been sent to list,
but there are no emails from these countries with that subject on a
public list (that I could find).
05:36:54 	INFO 	mchua 	Mel can't find subject lines with "TM REQUEST" in
them in either iaep or slobs archives
05:37:42 	AGREED 	mchua 	This agenda item is being dropped, but people
are encouraged (very very encouraged!) to resend their local labs' TM
applications to SLOBs and cc iaep, and we'll get to them then. So if
this is blocking you, please pipe up with a quick email!

---------

05:37:55 	Topic: Ooo4Kids logo display request
06:17:35 	LINK 	mchua
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/2010-June/011240.html
06:21:10 	INFO 	mchua 	Main Oo4Kids contact is Eric Bachard,
eric.bachard at free.fr
06:21:21 	INFO 	mchua 	Oo4kids requests permission to place our logo on
their "partners" page
06:21:56 	AGREED 	mchua 	YES (motion passes, Bernie, Walter, Adam and
Mel +1, no -1)
06:21:59 	LINK 	mchua
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/2010-June/011263.html
06:22:11 	INFO 	mchua 	Added to "trademark permissions granted" list
06:22:14 	LINK 	mchua
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Trademark_permissions_granted

--------------

06:23:24 	Topic: F11+0.88+XO-1.* as a SL project
06:23:47 	INFO 	mchua 	The broader topic under discussion here is "what
is a SL project?" (as in, what does it entail, what does it mean for a
project to be a SL project - rights and responsibilities)?
06:23:58 	INFO 	mchua 	This is a simple question, but we need to
actually agree on the answer.
06:24:05 	LINK 	mchua
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/2010-June/011241.html
06:27:11 	LINK 	mchua
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/2010-July/011278.html
06:27:26 	LINK 	mchua
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/2010-July/011284.html
06:29:04 	INFO 	mchua 	It was agreed last week that Paraguay Educa
should list the F11+0.88+Xo-1.* project on the wiki sidebar.
06:29:07 	LINK 	mchua
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Deployment_Team/Sugar-0.88
06:37:31 	INFO 	mchua 	It was also agreed that the project should have
full use of SL Infrastructure resources.
06:39:55 	INFO 	mchua 	So I'm going to make it a quick agenda item,
draft a motion and see if we can get discussion/consensus/approval
around it.
06:40:36 	LINK 	mchua
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/Project_Guidelines
06:41:36 	INFO 	mchua 	the current page asays projects start as SIGs,
then apply to SLOBs for project status.
06:42:39 	ACTION 	mchua 	mchua to shoot this page out to the iaep list
and ask if anyone thinks it needs more - if it's not blocking anything,
we can skip it for now, I think.

-------------

06:42:58 	Topic: Other business
06:47:34 	INFO 	mchua 	We have a question for SLOBs from Kevin Mark.
06:47:34 	LINK 	mchua 	#link
06:47:34 	INFO 	mchua 	Kevin Mark: I was confused about the hierarchy of
who should be the deciding organization for who determines what version
of sugar is used in the field. There are more than 500,000 users and
many people outside of OLPC and Sugar Labs that will have to support
that choice (of using 0.88) as well as the support that OLPC and Sugar
Labs in Boston and elsewhere will have to provide." #info "I dont know
how a new 3rd party like Activity Ce
06:47:41 	INFO 	mchua 	"There are more than 500,000 users and many
people outside of OLPC and Sugar Labs that will have to support that
choice (of using 0.88) as well as the support that OLPC and Sugar Labs
in Boston and elsewhere will have to provide. I dont know how a new 3rd
party like Activity Central is involved in this and what role they
should be taking as they are untested and lacking the kind of resouces
that OLPC and Sugar Labs have at the moment.
06:47:55 	ACTION 	mchua 	mchua to shoot this to slobs and iaep lists for
further Q&A
06:47:56 	Topic: Next week's agenda
06:48:03 	INFO 	mchua 	* Revisit "what's a project?"
06:48:43 	INFO 	mchua 	* Ask again: what are our biggest issues right
now? How are we doing towards our goals? (What are they?)