[IAEP] Data vs Critical Thinking - Can Sugar give schools both?

Yamandu Ploskonka yamaplos at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 15:16:37 EDT 2010

I highly respect you initiatives, Caroline, not just because they start
as a basically good idea, but then you do great follow-through that I
wish I will learn more from.  And this is a great initiative, your email
waiting a long time in my inbox because it was so good I wasn't figuring
out how to contribute, though I felt I needed to at least share a couple
thoughts.

Something sort of along these lines I have been pursuing pretty much
since forever, but in my case it has not passed from being a
gedankenexperiment, alas.

My reflection goes along these ways

1) each child (and each teacher!) is unique in abilities, giftings,
potential and actual skills, learning styles...

from this we can infer that "one-size-fits-all" education is not as good
- for the child - as education that fits each child's way.

one-size-fits-all education is cheaper, seems to work, is the way it is
done everywhere... arguments hard to beat, though for generations it was
SOP, for those who could afford it, to have tutors to work with their
kids one-on-one, something obviously impractical and impossible to
scale-up to the needs and the rights we recognize now.

enter differentiated instruction, which sadly has meant often some kind
of apartheit, where the "A" tier gets attention, funding, the best
teachers...  It is now SOP that there are "better" schools parents fight
to get their kids in.  Contrariwise, many classrooms are by design
mixed-things and some sort of forced integration has been a fashion for
a while, and for a while failing schools got more funding, a trend that
took a while to turn around since it was discovered that it encouraged
failure.

Your proposal indicates "more intensive instruction" for the "students
that are struggling", which is nice, no doubt for those, but maybe
unfair to the others.  It appears many more "scholar athletes" lately
are getting diagnosed for disorders that allow them to use chemicals
that otherwise are banned...  I am concerned that if the way to get
better schooling is to be lower tier, there might be a rush for it.