[IAEP] Data vs Critical Thinking - Can Sugar give schools both?

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Tue Apr 20 10:29:28 EDT 2010

Hi Subbu,

Not off topic in my opinion.

RTI consists of:

1. *Scientific, Research-Based Instruction- Delivered in Tiers, with
students who are struggling getting more intensive instruction.*
*2. Screening of all students.*
*3. Progress monitoring (about every 2 weeks) for the students getting the
more intensive instruction (the 'intervention').*
*
*
*US based discussions of RTI focus on how it effects the pipeline to special
education.  But in many OLPC contexts I don't think there is a special
education to be referred to. I think if kids can't make it in the general
classroom they drop out.  Thus a system that keeps more kids on track is
valuable.*
*
*
*Discussions of how to improve instruction is very on topic for RTI.  In RTI
terms you could think about it in two ways.  Are the materials part of a
Tier I (all students) instruction or are they for Tier II, for struggling
students.  The great thing about technology, be it a laptop or a mp4 player,
is that it could be used in both ways.  The whole class could use it, and we
could help teachers match up specific weakness in students with specific
learning objects for a Tier II like intervention.*
*
*
*I'm focusing a lot on the screening and progress monitoring pieces of RTI
because, thanks to huge, long, high stakes tests that teachers don't see
results back from for months, assessment has gotten a bad name.
RTI assessment is quick and results are immediate, specific and actionable.
 *
*
*
*Yes, on the cell phones/hand helds for doing the assessments.  In the US
palm pilots are used. I do think setting it up on a cell phone would be far
more economical.*
*
*
*Thanks for responding. :)*