[IAEP] [support-gang] Which Language?

DancesWithCars danceswithcars at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 12:37:00 EDT 2009

It doesn't get much better than a language
[co-] author Alan Kay recommending their
language!

SmallTalk is "under the hood" as mentioned
before and a pure object oriented language,
in that everything is an object.

Xerox PARC machines (dolphins?) had smalltalk,
but I didn't have much access to them
so used Symbolics LispM and ZetaLisp/CommonLisp
instead. Emacs (yum install emacs
loadable on XO, has a lisp or sorts)
and MicroEmacs is in Open FirmWare
(bios)

I'd add Squeak/Etoys/ Smalltalk-80 to the list
as it's in the base install, and good for
comparison as well.

Java OpenJDK might be a good one to
compare Smalltalk against,
but if the guy asking is a CompSci professor,
he probably already knows the languages,
and just asking about best XO implementations.

A capstone project for undergraduate seniors
might be creating your own language...

Now, I'll need to spend more time
with Squeak/ Etoys and less typing emails
;-/

Thanks Alan!

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Alan Kay
<alan.nemo at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Not to make this discussion more complicated, but ...
>
> Squeak/Etoys runs on everything whether Sugar or not, runs in the browser or
> as a standalone, and a Squeak "project" is completely independent of any
> environment except Squeak.
>
> Both Etoys and Scratch (and many other apps) are written entirely in Squeak
> (which is an open source version of Smalltalk-80 with a comprehensive
> library).
>
> Etoys at: http://www.squeakland.org/
>
> Squeak at: http://www.squeak.org/
>
> Cheers,