[IAEP] [support-gang] Which Language?

Alan Kay alan.nemo at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 26 12:51:01 EDT 2009

Actually, I wasn't recommending it, but just pointing out that it does run everywhere (including the XO but doesn't need any particular OS), "is powerful", etc.

My deep beliefs are that "problems" have special natures whose solutions are greatly aided by languages/notations that fit them and supply points of view that help thinking and doing. (This was a pretty general belief in the 60s, and is part of the thrust of Ken Iverson's Turing Lecture, it was the driving force behind LOGO, and JOSS, and many other languages back then, including the early Smalltalks, the later Hypercard and Hypertalk, etc.)

So, to me, one of the first tasks when trying to make something happen, is not to try to cobble something from existing tools (they don't fit well and have huge biases built in) but to put together an extensible system that can help thinking about the problems and goals and doing them. So while I would not advocate any of the languages (and allied systems) around today for the problems of the XO and OLPC and SL, I would urge the making of such a system for making transportable "educational activities" of the kind that we are all interested in.

Living in a networked world (also one of the main goals and premises of the 60s) means that software just has to be hardware and OS agnostic. This is easy to do and some people have been doing it for many decades. Rethinking this in the light of current state and goals is a good idea.

So I would say "not a programming language, but the metaprogramming of languages" and "not an operating system as a base" but "a base that is a transportable system" ...

Very best wishes,

Alan