[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] [SoaS] The Future of Sugar on a Stick

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Thu Sep 24 11:34:59 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 08:06:43AM -0500, David Farning wrote:
> This sets several important [precedents]:
> Delegate authority - In this case the soas project can define its
> own future.  And the marketing team can define its own marketing
> strategy.

This is not the precedent.  Authority has not been delegated.  SLOBs
is still making the decision:

"'The Oversight Board will review and ratify Decision Panel [report]'"
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2009-September/019544.html

The decision panel is going to be told what the question(s) it has to
report on is...so let's not pat ourselves on the back on being
decisive here.

> Sugar Labs does not declare an official soas.  Instead, the marketing
> team can pick the best soas on which to base its strategy.

Is this your personal opinion or SLOB's?  It seems broadly phrased if
the former, contradictory if the latter.

> [T]he meta [lessons] from this experience:)
>
> 1.  [Trademark guidelines are overdue]
>
> 2.  [project policy is overdue]
>
> 3.  [soas and marketing teams can work together]

All I see is a lot of unproductive reinforcement of 4. "let's talk a
lot about tangential stuff to the detriment of letting SLOBs get on
with answering the original question[1,2]".

Like I said: "It's not hard to say 'no', but it takes a > 150 post
mailing list thread and a committee to really avoid saying it for so
long and with such obfuscation".

> david

Martin

1. http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/2009-September/008373.html