[IAEP] [SLOBS] SLOBs Position on SoaS

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Fri Sep 18 15:28:11 EDT 2009

Hi all,

   > Let me rephrase again, to make things clear. I'd love to hear an
   > "official" answer on this. Soon.
   >
   > Is the current SoaS going to be the primary way Sugar Labs
   > distributes a Sugar-centric GNU/Linux distribution?

Martin Dengler has persuaded me that having SLOBs vote on this issue
could help us move forward, even though there obviously isn't
community consensus on it yet.  I'm uncomfortable with the idea of
having SLOBs vote on community-wide disagreements, but I have a plan
for that, which I'll explain in a moment.

First, I'd need to know what the specific questions (with yes/no
answers) that people are interested in a vote on at the SLOBs
meeting next week would be.  Some things I've read that might
be those questions go something like:

   "Should Sugar Labs be a Linux distributor, rather than just an
   upstream producing Sugar releases?"

   "Should SL be neutral about distributions containing Sugar, and
   refuse to endorse one over another?"

   "Should 'Sugar on a Stick' be a phrase that SL asks its community
   to avoid using unless they refer to the SoaS-Fedora distribution?"

To avoid forcing a vote on questions that shouldn't be answered by
SLOBs, I propose that the answers for each vote should be:

* Yes
* No
* We should talk about this question more before voting on it
* We shouldn't vote on this question for some reason (e.g. ambiguity
  in the question, or wanting to abstain)

To add a question to the list (I'm not going to add any of them
myself), please add to the bullet points at:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/index.php?title=Oversight_Board/Minutes#Friday_18_Sept_2009_-_14:00_UTC

If you don't like the idea of this becoming a SLOBs vote, it would be
useful to say that too.

Thanks,

- Chris, wearing SLOB hat.
--