[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] [SLOBS] Long-term support for Sugar

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Wed Sep 23 20:22:15 EDT 2009

El Wed, 23-09-2009 a las 20:13 -0400, Wade Brainerd escribió:
> Sugar could report an error message on startup: "This Activity
> contains executable code which was not compiled for this platform.
>  Please contact the activity author for support."
> This would fall into the general category of displaying better error
> messages when activities fail to start.
>
> If ARM becomes a really popular Sugar platform, those authors whose
> activities embed compiled code will be encouraged by their users to
> provide updated bundles with binaries for more platforms.

Bah, this scenario seems so unlikely... :-/

> I personally feel the simplicity of the .xo bundle format is a big
> advantage.  After years of developing for Sugar, I still have no idea
> how to compile a .rpm file and have no desire to learn :)  One more
> hurdle to cross when starting out.

For something written in Python, it's as easy as typing:

  ./setup.py bdist_rpm
  ./setup.py bdist_dpkg

> PS- A friend just told me that whenever his iPhone app crashes for a
> user, it sends a little log back to a central server (if the user has
> opted in).  The logs are grouped and sent to the app author
> automatically.  What a way to encourage a stable activity ecosystem!!
>  That even gives Apple the ability to theoretically penalize an App
> author whose activity crashes too often.

A similar functionality has also been in Ubuntu, Fedora for a while.
Gnome and KDE provided desktop-specific implementations of this idea for
at least 5 years.