[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] [SLOBS] Long-term support for Sugar

Wade Brainerd wadetb at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 20:13:23 EDT 2009

Sugar could report an error message on startup: "This Activity contains
executable code which was not compiled for this platform.  Please contact
the activity author for support."
This would fall into the general category of displaying better error
messages when activities fail to start.

If ARM becomes a really popular Sugar platform, those authors whose
activities embed compiled code will be encouraged by their users to provide
updated bundles with binaries for more platforms.

I personally feel the simplicity of the .xo bundle format is a big
advantage.  After years of developing for Sugar, I still have no idea how to
compile a .rpm file and have no desire to learn :)  One more hurdle to cross
when starting out.

Best,
Wade

PS- A friend just told me that whenever his iPhone app crashes for a user,
it sends a little log back to a central server (if the user has opted in).
 The logs are grouped and sent to the app author automatically.  What a way
to encourage a stable activity ecosystem!!  That even gives Apple the
ability to theoretically penalize an App author whose activity crashes too
often.