[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] [SoaS] The Future of Sugar on a Stick

Mel Chua metamel at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 14:10:09 EDT 2009

> The mailing list in question is for developers... on the specific
> existing project. Googling "Sugar on a Stick" will find (as it finds
> today) the Sugar Labs website and the download page.

I interpreted the mailing list in question as being primarily for
developers of *any* SoaS, with the current Fedora-based solution
making up the bulk of that discussion at the moment. (I'd still expect
users to be directed towards iaep, unless they wanted to do
SoaS-specific testing - and for Marketing to be able to decide what
the name "SoaS" points towards.) I've tried to clarify this in
http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1419 - Sean, does this address your
concerns?

It's going to be tough to find someone in the SL community who is
distro-independent (most of us at least have one slightly preferred
distro-of-the-moment, if we're not already more involved with our
distro community). I think it is sufficient for the
soas at lists.sugarlabs.org list moderator to acknowledge the need for
distro-neutrality for the generic "SoaS" term, and be open to any
alternate liveUSB Sugar project.*

Sean, since you are concerned about distro neutrality and clarity
around the marketing of SoaS, would you like to be the mailing list
admin (or a moderator)? If you read the ticket, you'll see me looking
for Somebody Better to manage the soas@ list. (Mailing list
mod/adminship is Not A Big Deal, and the Infrastructure team can step
in if things go way downhill; it's mostly making sure spam doesn't
drown us all, and cutting off flamewars when they're not dying down by
themselves; a good list should rarely, if ever, need to have the
latter part enforced)

--Mel

*...any alternate liveUSB Sugar project that has been through the
hypothetical future lightweight approval for usage of the SoaS
trademark (which we should also hypothetically have in the future),
that is. But these are both entirely different topics.