[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] [SoaS] The Future of Sugar on a Stick

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Mon Sep 21 11:27:36 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 3:37 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 08:30, Mel Chua <metamel at gmail.com> wrote:
>> There's a lot going on in this thread, so here is my attempt to
>> summarize discussions so far. If I've missed or misstated anything, my
>> apologies - and it's a wiki, so go fix it. ;-)
>>
>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Talk:Sugar_on_a_Stick
>>
>> By my count, there are 4 things we need to decide on and then execute
>> in order to wrap up this conversation. Some are already in progress.
>>
>>    * 4.1 Make a SoaS mailing list
>>    * 4.2 Formalize a SoaS development team
>>    * 4.3 Determine what "Sugar on a Stick" refers to
>>    * 4.4 Determine what "the code Sebastian is working on" is called
>>
>> Only the third one has a clear owner (SLOBs) and can be decided at
>> this time (the 4th seems to depend on the answer to the 3rd). How can
>> we move these forward - and are there any other blocker decisions that
>> aren't listed here?
>
> Great summary, this is my understanding of how things stand today:
>
> 4.1 can be left entirely to the SoaS team for decide
>
> 4.2 also depends only on the SoaS team, haven't heard nobody against
> SoaS qualifying for a project inside SLs. SoaS is already listed as a
> project in the wiki, btw:
>
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Category:Project
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/Project_Guidelines
>
> 4.3 a decision panel has been proposed to help with this
>
> 4.4 only depends on the SoaS team, but may depend on 4.3 to avoid name clashes
>
> Regards,

After reading this thread again, Mel's and Tomeu's summaries are spot on.

1,2, and 4 are SoaS Project level decisions.

We could go even one step further and say 4.3 is a marketing team/soas
project level decision.  This give the marketing team the freedom to
identify a marketing strategy base on either the platform of a
specific project with the overall project without committing the Sugar
Labs to a 'official' position

david