[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] [SoaS] The Future of Sugar on a Stick

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 14:42:12 EDT 2009

Hi Mel that wiki page is helpful

To my knowledge, "Sugar on a Stick" has not been trademarked yet by
Sugar Labs; my position is that it should be.

Sugar on a Stick is the heart of the Sugar Labs strategy for spreading
Sugar use beyond OLPC. Although other technical solutions are
promising, at this time they don't come close to matching the
advantages of the SoaS approach, in particular its conceptual
simplicity to nongeeks. SoaS overcomes the single biggest obstacle to
easily running any non-Microsoft system software on PCs and netbooks:
the installation barrier.

Our short definition of SoaS should be immediately intelligible to
teachers, in my view. Most teachers won't care if Sugar runs on
GNU/Linux, but they will care very much about its cost, reliability,
and level of technical competence required to
obtain/install/configure/test it and obtain support throughout. How
about:

"Sugar on a Stick is a version of the Sugar Learning Platform for
children which runs from an ordinary USB stick. It is meant for 1-to-1
use in schools and at home, providing a coherent and consistent
computing experience. Based on GNU/Linux, SoaS is free/libre
open-source software focused on reliability, customizability,
deployability, and online and local support."

If we can agree on this definition, we are on the road to agreeing on
what SoaS is from a technical standpoint. As stated previously I think
the 'best' liveUSB should represent Sugar Labs. Which doesn't preclude
listing other liveUSB Sugars, but teachers will need a dead simple
path from homepage to pancake-button download to installer/USB loader
to boot and configure.

Sean