[IAEP] [SLOBS] SLOBs Position on SoaS

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Wed Sep 16 10:36:01 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 16:24, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> 2009/9/16 Sebastian Dziallas <sebastian at when.com>:
>> Let me rephrase again, to make things clear. I'd love to hear an
>> "official" answer on this. Soon.
>>
>> Is the current SoaS going to be the primary way Sugar Labs distributes a
>> Sugar-centric GNU/Linux distribution?
>
> Isn't there a wider question first? the one that asks if Sugar Labs is
> actually interested in being a distributor rather than just an
> upstream. I raised that question in my recent discussion and my
> feeling is that the responses basically said "well we should really
> just focus on being an upstream since we already are overworked there,
> but actually Sugar Labs is just a platform where everyone interested
> in Sugar can get together and run Sugar-related projects"
>
> Based on that, I'd say that SoaS is a fine project to sit under Sugar
> Labs but there shouldn't be a "primary way" of getting Sugar. Like
> other upstream projects, Sugar Labs should work with multiple
> downstreams (treating them equally) in order to achieve wide adoption
> of the software.

That matches quite well my personal point of view. I'm just a bit
concerned that the marketing team might need something like SoaS as
part of their job to make Sugar widely known. But I'm just guessing
here...

That said, SoaS is very important for me as an upstream Sugar
developer because before we had it, people had to install a linux
distro or get an XO to try or test Sugar. So I have a big interest in
that SoaS work continue forward, in SLs if needed.

Regards,

Tomeu

Farning