[IAEP] [SLOBS] SLOBs Position on SoaS

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Wed Sep 16 10:08:48 EDT 2009

As Sean and Martin point out the consequences of this decision extend
past SoaS.  The effects seem to centre on four levels:

1. Procedural.
2. Mission, Vision, and Values.
3. Operations.
4. SoaS the project.

As we work through the levels, a pretty good decision _should_ emerge.

Procedural--
As a general rule, decisions are made on public mailing lists.  Once a
consensus is reached on the lists, the consensus is presented to SLOBs
for ratification.  Occasionally, a SLOB will point out that we missed
an important point.... Then we refine the decision and iterate through
the process again.

I apologize for any confusion about that.  I did not realize that my
dual roles as a member of the board and the guy who often works on
building consensus would cause confusion.  Hopefully, by not sitting
on the board next term some of that confusion will clear up.

Values--
While thinking about how to present this issue to the board for
ratification, I keep coming back to the value.

"The success and trust in Sugar Labs is premised on empowering and
enabling rather than excluding."

The questions becomes, "How do we make an official relationships
between Sugar Labs and a project empowering and enabling to both
parties?" and "How do we prevent an official relationship between a
project and Sugar Labs from excluding other interesting projects?"

Any thoughts?

david