[IAEP] SLOBs Position on SoaS

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Wed Sep 16 10:24:03 EDT 2009

2009/9/16 Sebastian Dziallas <sebastian at when.com>:
> Let me rephrase again, to make things clear. I'd love to hear an
> "official" answer on this. Soon.
>
> Is the current SoaS going to be the primary way Sugar Labs distributes a
> Sugar-centric GNU/Linux distribution?

Isn't there a wider question first? the one that asks if Sugar Labs is
actually interested in being a distributor rather than just an
upstream. I raised that question in my recent discussion and my
feeling is that the responses basically said "well we should really
just focus on being an upstream since we already are overworked there,
but actually Sugar Labs is just a platform where everyone interested
in Sugar can get together and run Sugar-related projects"

Based on that, I'd say that SoaS is a fine project to sit under Sugar
Labs but there shouldn't be a "primary way" of getting Sugar. Like
other upstream projects, Sugar Labs should work with multiple
downstreams (treating them equally) in order to achieve wide adoption
of the software.

Daniel