[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] Project Guidelines posted

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Mon Sep 14 12:09:23 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 9:29 AM, Bryan Berry <bryan at olenepal.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 09:21 -0500, David Farning wrote:
>> The work going on in Nepal is one of the primary reasons for
>> establishing SIGs and projects.  Nepal is doing an amazing job of
>> creating solutions for local problems.
>>
>> Sigs/projects are a place where deployments can share ideas and work
>> together on solutions for local issues.
>>
>> A good example of how to progress would be to work through the
>> questions on the SIG guidelines at
>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/Project_Guidelines .  The
>> questions are not just bureaucratic hurdles.  They represent some of
>> the best practices that Eclipse, Apache and Fedora have found helping
>> ideas grow into successful projects.  You have already worked through
>> most of the issues for karma.
>>
>> The project wiki format is basically the same a a team wiki page.  It
>> is pretty flexible yet makes it easy for someone to discover what your
>> project is all about and how to get involved.
>>
>> david
>
> tks for the thoughtful response Dave
>
> good, then i don't feel bad about using the SL logo :)
>
> What should the next step for Karma be on the SIG/Project route?

I think that I would start converting the karma wiki page into
sig/project to raise its visibility.

Then over the next six months of so try to align you release cycle
with the larger Sugar release cycle.

> I think it will take 6+ months for a governance strategy for Karma to be
> worked out. Essentially right now we are just trying to reimplement the
> work done in Flash to html5+javascript. Later when different individuals
> have differing ideas, we may need some governance. Right now, the main
> focus is "How do we convert the talking water buffalo from flash to
> html5?"

I wouldn't worry to much about governance.  The guidelines are set up
so that as a sig works through the process, leaders and governance
models will emerge.

Once the mission, vision, and implement roadmap are in place we can
tag karma as a sig.

david