[IAEP] Where should we put Lesson Plans? Currwiki?

David Van Assche dvanassche at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 02:31:18 EDT 2009

The biggest job in things like Moodle and its courses is really
categorisation and the best way to go about doing this. You often end up
restructuring the whole menu system over and over as subjects and languages
pop up, ans subcatagories seem to move from location to location. For
example, the learning how to use Sugar courses I made are really for
specific subjects like programming, usage, maintenance, etc. But I grouped
them all under one subheading until there is enough material to warrant
creating other sections. I would suggest doing something similar. That is to
say, start off with subject sections that are quite broad and general so it
looks like there is a significant amount of content available. And then
slowly start changing the categories.

In terms of the database you mention, I'm not sure if you mean using the
database module that is included with moodle, just for subjects and the
usage thereof. Is what you want a kind of launchpad for subjects? Either way
the database module is extremely powerful, and can be used for almost
anything to categorise and link its details to the content in the courses.
If you do need help on creating or maintaining a database, let me know...

kind Regards,
David Van Assche.

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 9:17 PM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I see that Moodle can support a MySQL database. Has anybody
> implemented a system with a database of learning modules that a
> teacher can select from in creating a course? If so, then we can
> design such a database for easy searching by various relevant criteria
> and for linking modules together in sequences that respect topic
> dependencies.
>
> Bryan Berry has suggested that we need something like 10,000 modules
> for every topic in every subject at every grade level in K-12. I am
> thinking of an architecture in which we could provide places for
> multiple versions of each topic module using different instructional
> methods keyed to different learning styles in different languages and
> cultures.
>
> For example, I might offer a lesson plan using Walter Bender's Turtle
> Art Portfolio functions and Alan Kay's Etoys/Smalltalk approach. You
> can get a bit of the flavor in my reworking of an Alan Kay lesson
> sequence on Galilean gravity at
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Gravity.odt
>
> I intend to redo this again entirely in Turtle Art Portfolio soon, now
> that I have a lot more of the bits and pieces of my approach coming
> together.
> --
> Edward Mokurai (默雷/धर्ममेघशब्दगर्ज/دھرممیگھشبدگر ج) Cherlin
> http://earthtreasury.org/

Joan Crawford<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/joan_crawford.html>
- "I, Joan Crawford, I believe in the dollar. Everything I earn, I
spend."